Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 62: A New Year (309 Days Until the Marathon)

It's Jan 1, 2010 - the start of a new month, a new year, and a new decade. The training schedule calls for a day of rest today but, of course, since it's the first of the month, and I'm a superstitious critter, I had to go off book and do my five mile walk with Allison. Our trek through the Park was lovely - much nicer than my run last night! I'm quite sore today and I have a chest cold brewing. I also feel a little bit melancholy.

All that rah-rah new decade stuff last night put me on my guard. I have so many hopes and expectations for 2010. Everyone keeps saying this is going to be a great year! I hope so; but it's also going to be a real year. There may be immeasurable joys - I hope many, many - but there will also inevitably be sadness, pain and disappointment. Building up too many positive expectations is a surefire prescription for disappointment, and might not let me appreciate whatever good surprises arise; so I want to be careful to walk that fine line between visualizing the results I want, and staying awake in the moment to the real experience I'm having.

With that in mind, I look forward to continuing to train for the Marathon. I can visualize myself crossing the finish line, but already the context in which I cross it has changed several times in my fantasy. I guess, I will just have to let the year unfold as it will and see what happens on November 7, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment