Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 72: Loose in Places

Today's a day of rest. I'll be running 3 miles tomorrow morning. This is the first time I've had days off and not felt worried that the down time would take away from my progress. In fact, I've let myself enjoy not running yesterday and today - just resting, recovering, remembering and appreciating.

Normally I'd be anxious that losing a day would set me back; but I'm starting to understand that it doesn't work that way with running. Growth may be very slow, imperceptible from day to day, but over time, it's significant and real; and you don't have to give it back if you take a day off. (A month off, well then maybe you give some of it back!)

The same is true with the changes I see in my body. I haven't had any tremendous change in actual weight. I've lost about 8.5 lbs since October without dieting at all. I guess that does sound like a lot - but with all the exercise I've been doing, I might think it should be more.

The real difference isn't in the pounds on the scale, however, but in the way my body looks, and how some of my clothes fit. My friend Eileen at work told me today she can see my changing. I'm shrinking in places I've never shrunk before. It's kind of funny, actually. I've never owned a belt in my life! OK, I've owned them, because they often come with women's pants and suits, but I've never bought one separately and I've never actually used one! Like, the way I didn't understand running? I also never understood why anyone would need a belt! Why not just buy pants in the right size in the first place? Your tush and tummy hold them up! It didn't make sense.

Right now, I've got two pairs of pants which are the right length, but are practically falling down from the waist. I might have to buy a belt! I'm like a teenager coming into a body she needs to get to know and figure out how to take care of! And then there are my calves, which seemed to initially get bigger in November and December; I had more trouble zipping my boots up back then. Now though, my calves seem to have gotten smaller, and the boots zip up like butter. What's happening!?

It's funny to be in my own body, and just have to sit back and watch the show. I have no say in what gets bigger and what gets smaller. (Too bad - I might have a few suggestions!)

1 comment:

  1. Ooo a belt - I have no idea what that's like - do tell!!

    ReplyDelete