Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 77: 5 Miles in 58:27

Had a great run today. Just 8 seconds longer than I ran the 5 miles last Saturday, with no "race day" adrenaline to carry me through! Of course, the treadmill's flat, so I had that going for me... but still, I'm psyched. I didn't stop at all for the first 3.5 miles, which I ran at 5 mph, 5.2 mph, and then 5.4 mph, increasing speed on the mile.

At 3.5 miles I stopped and walked for a tenth of a mile because I was feeling nauseous. Then I picked it back up at 5.4 mph for half a mile, and accelerate to 5.6 mph for mile 4. Mile five I felt the nausea come back hard, and had stomach cramps from drinking water, but I pushed through and turned the speed up even further when I had just half a mile left.

Close to the end I began to see black spots, so badly so that when the 5 miles was up, I missed it. I didn't fall off the treadmill though. I managed to hit the stop button and just catch myself and "wake up," and then lie down on a mat and put my feet up. I'd eaten a piece of toast beforehand, a half a banana, coffee with milk and drank water every 10 minutes while I was running... I really don't know why I had that reaction today; but it doesn't matter and I'm excited about my performance anyway so that's enough to make it worth it!

I never really got back to normal today after that. I've been tired and nauseous since, and had to force myself to eat a spicy tuna roll in the late afternoon. My next assignment is to go 7 miles. I was supposed to do that tomorrow, but in light of how I'm feeling, I may push it to Monday. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment