Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 86: Before and After

Despite having gotten 9 hours of sleep last night, I'm still completely knackered from having run 8 miles yesterday in the the cold rain. Fortunately, my hands are no longer swollen, and all my aches have subsided, but sheer exhaustion still lingers. I feel faintly frail; like, don't touch me too hard or I might bruise or tip over. Hopefully that will pass before I have to run 5 miles tomorrow...

Contributing to the challenge, I've quietly been eliminating coffee from my diet. I'll get into this some other time, the inner conflict saying "good bye for now" to coffee brings me, and maybe more importantly, the career conflict; apart from all this, suffice it to say, I'm simply missing my morning spike of happy. Tea is bridging the gap but it doesn't stifle the constant flashes I'm getting of my deep, soft bed with cool sheets. If I could just close my eyes for a minute...

What I've learned from this is that running not only requires planning beforehand (eating enough, drinking enough, having the right clothes for the weather) and during (blocking out enough time to warm up, run, cool down, stretch), but it also requires planning for the evening and day afterwards. I had a bunch of meetings this morning and thankfully my boss also ran a miserable lot yesterday so we could commiserate for a few minutes before starting in on brand challenges, but if I hadn't had that, it would have been a bitch just jumping into the day's work. So much planning - before and after - for something that wasn't even a part of my life less than 3 months ago! Not saying it's a bad thing. Just saying, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

No comments:

Post a Comment