Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 61: Messy Finish (4M in 1:01:21)

Well, I'm a hot mess right now. It's New Year's Eve and they decided to close the gym in my building at 2pm today, which I didn't realize until 4pm; so I had no choice but to run outside in Central Park. It's freezing and wet out there, so I bundled myself up and covered my face with a layer of Aquaphor for some reason. I was thinking of swimmers crossing the English Channel. I didn't want to get chapped (or bitten by jellyfish)! I tell you - I have no idea what I'm doing. If you are a novice, do not listen to me!

This was my first time in Central Park in a month. I started strong and felt elated as I whizzed past the old Stretching Bridge without needing to stop, and then the Magic Tree. I was surprised to hear the lady on Nike+ tell me my pace was well below a 10 minute mile. Victory! But not for long.

By the time I reached the end of my first mile, I was over-heating and sweating through my three layers: primary layer for wicking, fleece, and then a shell, plus hat and gloves. I unzipped everything that could be unzipped. The sweat still dripped. I was dying. I pulled my hat up and my gloves off... Eventually, I had to fully stop running and take my first two layers off.

I hung my two jackets around my waist but they slid off. I had to stop again. I hung the fleece (purple and very fuzzy) around my neck and put the shell back on and just zipped it to keep it from falling off. The fleece spun around my neck as I went. It was wet from sweat; everything was wet. A blister formed on my left foot. My hat was drenched and I started to feel both hot and cold at the same time, and like a fever (not an artificial fever - a real one!) was coming on. But I kept going.

Mind over body, I kept telling myself. Then I accidentally stomped in a puddle and my right shoe filled with dirty water. It was dark by 4:30pm. The only other times I've been in the Park at night have been at the Boat House for parties or drinks. It was so beautiful and exciting by Bethesda Fountain tonight, with snow on the branches of Willow Path. Still, as I ran, I kept an eye out for Robert Chambers hiding in the bushes, as well as the more likely interruption... piles of horse manure from the carriages. There were lots of people still out and running along the path with me. Workers were setting up for tonight's Emerald Nuts fun run at midnight. There was nothing to really worry about - but still running in the dark, in the Park, felt a little dangerous.

I thought mile four would never come, and when it did, I did not get a burst of energy to push forward. I felt wet, exhausted, stiff and frustrated with my performance. I was already at 50 minutes and was never going to match or beat my previous times. I had to walk a lot. I was coughing and spitting (in a very ladylike way, I assure you). I'd brought water and drank the whole bottle.

In the end, I finished the four miles in 1:01:21 at a pace of 15:19 mph (including the times I'd had to fully stop to adjust my clothes). I'm not sure if I can trust the Nike+ tracking system though because it told me I'd completed four miles when I'd actually run the loop just a few meters short of three times, which would actually be 5.1 miles. So - maybe it isn't calibrating correctly? If I actually ran 5.1 miles in 1:01:21, well then that wouldn't be so damn bad! But, I just don't know...

What I do know is that it's been a challenging first two months. This wasn't a gorgeous end to the year, but it's OK. As long as I have a gorgeous process, I think I can cope with a messy finish. I am glad I am doing this. I still can't believe I'm doing this! I've lost 7 lbs since starting, and feel stronger and healthier. I'm excited to keep challenging myself and see just how far I can go.

2010 is going to be my year. I am going to live it to the fullest and do what I never thought of doing before AND what I always thought I should be doing. I'm going to find out what I'm really made of. (I have a hunch it's pretzel dough.) Meet you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment