Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 88: It Isn't You, It's Me

I ran 5 miles today, stretched, and pulled out my crescent zafu and zabaton for 15 minutes of proper meditation. I would ideally have meditated longer but since this was my first sit in months, and there's just so much time I can dedicate to unpaid activities - 15 minutes would have to do!

Before I started running today I took the time to actually calibrate my Nike+. How I completely missed that you can calibrate it for walking and for running, and enter your weight to figure out the number of calories burned, I have no idea. I sometimes get a little "dumb" about things when I'm exploring a totally new territory in life and I have some level of anxiety about it. Anxiety is a killer. When I have no anxiety, newness actually sharpens my acuity; but running makes me nervous; I don't want to fuck up and hurt myself or embarrass myself. This is part of why I am slow to catch on with what to eat/drink and wear on the track. My instincts get completely dampened by emotions like fear, hatred, discomfort and ambivalence.

So anyway, eventually I had enough people mention to me that you can actually calibrate the Nike+ to your personal stride. They gently suggested I might stop calling the darn thing names when it wasn't its fault; it was programmed to think I am a 6' tall man. I finally reset the pedometer today.

Dear Nike+,

I want to apologize. It wasn't you, it was me. I still don't like your stinkin' narrow shoes but, this running gadget? It's pretty awesome. Thanks for the love. So, are we cool, baby?

Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment