Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 85: Read My Record - 8 Miles!

In spite of the Jets' disappointing defeat today, I'd like to start with a quote from football great, Bill Parcells, who said, "You are what your record says you are." Damn straight, Bill! (And thanks to Arnold for the handoff on this quote...)

So, what's my record? I ran 8 miles today, baby! It was 37 degrees and drizzling in Central Park when I headed out and, by the time I returned it was fully raining. I wasn't quite sure what to wear but Arnold the runner (and quote giver) told me it was warm, so I didn't layer or wear a hat or gloves. I just wore compression pants and a Lululemon long sleeved top with thumb holes. One problem, I had no good pockets. The shirt had a tiny square of a pocket for my iPod to sit in, but where would I put water and chap stick? I skipped the chap stick and stuck two small water bottles into the waistband of my pants. (AMATEUR!)

The water bottles didn't make it. Before I even finished my walking warm up to the point I was going to start, they were sliding down the inside of my pants legs! I ended up tucking them into the leaves on the side of the path for later. Looks like I am going to have to invest in a hydration belt of some sort. You'd think I'd be psyched for a new gadget but, a belt? Not so much. I prefer shiny gadgets and things that taste good.

I started out with a nice strong pace. I felt calm. I thought of the Luxembourg Gardens, listened to my usual music and sang along in my head, enjoying the scenery. Then around mile 5, I started to get wicked thirsty. I was spitting a lot, and I could feel my fingers swelling into tight sausages. By mile 6, I was passing the place where I'd tucked the water so I dug a bottle out and slugged it. I fully stopped for about 3 minutes and did a series of stretches on my legs and hips, and held my hands above my head hoping to try to reduce the swelling, but to no avail. My last two miles were rough. The swelling got worse, and I started to wheeze. I'm still grappling with a chest cold and my lungs felt like they were filling; I couldn't get the oxygen in and out - kinda scary. Even so, I was excited to have just a mile left to finish the full 8 - and that kept me going.

I had to walk more than I wanted to today. Mostly going uphill and towards the end, but I kept asking myself every time I did walk - do I need to walk or am I being lazy? Usually the answer was the former. I'd really wanted to beat my speed from last week and, I did, by nearly a minute a mile, so I'm pleased. My average pace was 12:07:676 today. Sorry, after that kind of effort I'm not about to round anything up! .

This was my route: I started at West 72nd and ran east across the transverse (.3080 miles). Then I took the full loop (6.1 miles) uptown for my first time ever, and that was beautiful. At one point there was a frozen waterfall pouring right onto the path. Boys and their fathers trudged across the snow towards the skating rink for hockey practice. Ahh... New things to see! When I hit East 72nd again, I turned west on 72nd and did the Lower Loop a second time (1.7 miles). Sum total - 8.108 Miles.

Afterwards I felt an immediate and burning need for protein! I can't explain it. I couldn't even wait to get home. I stopped in on my way to the juice bar at Equinox and convinced the girl there to make me a protein shake and let me leave my iPod with her as collateral! I simply couldn't go another block without protein! My face was still frozen from running and I was shaking a little bit from the cold, so maybe she though, by the slightly slurred way I was talking, that I had some kind of disability. Any-hoo - very nice of her to oblige!

8 miles. Feels kind of major. Everything hurts now. A lot. My hips especially. I've taken a hot shower and I'm about to go down to the pool and sauna and possibly stay there forever. I ran a total of 21 miles this week, plus IntenSati, swimming and tennis. Not too shabby for, as Abby recently called me, a former couch potato! *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment