Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 80: Mini Triathlon

I was a little bit stiff today after yesterday's big 7 mile run so, technically, today should have been a day of rest. I was invited to take Jolynn's IntenSati class though, the one where she kicks my butt and turns me into a whimpering puppy begging for mercy? I just couldn't say no.

On my way up to the gym I downed a high quality power bar, and a bunch of grapes and water. It wasn't the ideal dinner but, a lot better than the alternative - free almond croissants left over in the kitchen from this morning's French breakfast! I'd planned to get to the gym early so that I could take a dip in the pool and loosen my muscles up; but when I got there, I was instantly seduced by the fancy treadmills. By fancy, I mean they were made in the last decade, with TVs and course maps, and the option to choose kilometers or miles, and heart monitors that actually work. All very exotic compared to the treadmills in my building.

I ran 2 miles at 5 mph or slower and really struggled. The gym was hot and crowded, and I hadn't brought my headphones. Still, I pressed on and it got easier by the minute. I briefly thought of doing 3 miles... but remembered Jolynn had said some other time I'd taken her class that I'd better not exercise beforehand, because she wanted me to be fresh meat. I seriously recommend you follow that advice if you ever have the fortune to be in one of her classes. The lady isn't joking around; she will crush you!

After the 2 miles, I jumped in the pool for 25 minutes and did walking and "running" laps, and used the kick board. I stationed myself in the slow lane. This gym has 8 lanes, ranked by speed and (strangely) age. The slow lane had a sign that said if you're 40+ you are allowed to stand still in there and do stationary exercises! What? 40? Is that considered old age? Really disturbing.

After the pool, which felt great, I changed back into my sweaty workout clothes and headed upstairs to class. Jolynn's bf wasn't there tonight, and he usually is quite the active participant, so I felt like I had to compensate. I yelled my little heart out, and jumped around as much as possible, punching the air, doing yoga poses, losing my balance, and thanking the Universe with vigorous gratitude! When the torture session was over, I didn't even have the strength to change into pants. I just put my jacket on and went out into the night to hail a taxi... hair still wet from the pool, the rest of me wet with a salty coating of sweat.

Treadmill... to pool... to IntenSati hell... My own little triathlon. I'm going to sleep well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment