Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 151: New 5M PR (52:47/10:33 Pace)

I'm over the moon! I just ran a new 5 mile personal record that beats my best time by 1:05 per mile!!

I read something that said if you're able to speed up significantly at the end of a race, that means you didn't run at full capacity during the race. I always speed up at the end of my races and workouts, so when I took to the treadmill tonight, I told myself I was going to run faster all the way through - uncomfortably faster - and just tolerate it. I absolutely must work on my speed. Endurance - I've got. I'm sure if you put 26.2 miles in front of me tomorrow I'd manage. It just might take me a few days!

So, with speed on the brain, I decided to really test myself tonight. By the end of mile one I was bright red, but determined. By the end of mile two, I was completely dripping with sweat and still determined, but wondering how I would keep this up for three more. At 2.5 I had to start the mind games... Half way there! Who knows, this could be a PR! Good TV is coming... Let's play "Shake Ya Tail Feather" again! And I tried new skills like kicking my heels up more when I run, which I read helps you go faster. (Also hurts more if you haven't developed those muscles yet. In case you feel like trying it! Be forewarned!)

Blond bitchy lady at the gym, who is obviously training for something and doesn't play nice with the remote, arrived around mile four and I love to run farther than she does because I know it annoys her. I saw her glancing at my board. When a treadmill facing the other way opened up, she got off the one next to me and moved. I don't like her and clearly, the feeling is mutual.

Awesome Indian-American chick whose name is way too hard to remember showed up and we did the happy wave, which I'm sure made blond bitchy lady feel left out. Ha ha. Indian-American chick has run 3 miles, 3 times a week, for the past decade, but she said I've inspired her to change it up. Last weekend she ran 6 miles for the first time in her life and she felt amazing! Tonight she left after just one and we waved a big flamboyant "Bye!" again and I was happy to piss bitchy blond lady off yet another time in one night! Yeah!

By the start of mile 5 I was running on fumes, but determined not to stop. My breathing got very short. I was gasping by the last quarter mile and actually had to slow down by 2/10 of a mile, and then 4/10. I simply could not get enough air. And I was thrilled! That meant I'd done my job along the way, and worked to capacity. I grew from that run. Or at least I hope I did. I take advice from all over the place these days and I guess I'm just trusting this advice is right. Sounds logical - and it helped me achieve a new PR!

My PRs so far are:

15M - 12:48 (day 147)
10M - 12:10 (day 140)
5M - 10:33 (day 151) YAY!
4M - 10:55 (day 112)
3M - 10:16 (day 131)
1M - 9:40 (day 139)

1 comment:

  1. You should list your first ever recorded time as a PR because it was a personal best just to do it and ave the balls to record it.

    ReplyDelete