Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 137: The Pygmalian Effect

I took a seminar at work today called "Managing Multiple Projects, Objectives and Deadlines." It was a voluntary thing and I didn't expect to get a tremendous lot out of it but figured if I learned even one new idea, that would make it worthwhile.

The trainer for the seminar was bright and dramatic, as they often are, and this one in particular was a former pastor, so his vibrato at times held a kind of Bible Belt quality to it, especially as he personified the various "devils" in the workplace (e.g., nagging colleagues, unrealistic bosses, unmotivated direct reports). He was thoroughly charming and knew his stuff, so I didn't mind his style even though it was a bit foreign - something I've only seen on TV.

Then just before our lunch break, the trainer popped a religious quote up on the screen for us to react to. I've never in my entire life seen a religious quote referenced in business! It was,

"I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer." — Martin Luther

That one went straight to my heart. The more I have to do, the more vital it is that I get a run in! Running, I guess, has become my religion. It's what I need three hours of when I have so much to do...

The other thing I loved learning about today was the Pygmalion Effect, which I frequently employ with myself and others, but hadn't had a name for. It is the phenomenon in which the greater the expectation is placed on someone, the better they perform. So in my case, I know that if I'd told myself on November 1, 2009, that I was going to train to be able to run 5 miles by Jan 1, I'd have dropped off by December. Too easy. Why bother even trying if there's nothing to prove?

And so it is with offering up "the Marathon" as my carrot... It's only working as a carrot because it is such a great (maybe impossible) expectation, that it fully demands my attention and dedication. There is something to prove (understatement!) and that fires me up to act in a way that will let me prove it.

It's a lot of fun when you start to see lessons from one part of your life cross over and become applicable in another. I established it as a goal of running, from the beginning, that the discipline required to run would flow over into other parts of my life. I have to say, I'm still waiting for that to happen... That, and the day when running will "clear my mind!" Grateful though for the gifts I am receiving from this grand experiment... can I get a big Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment