Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 125: A Lost Day


Unfortunately, I wasn't wrong. I have terrible food poisoning - though all my colleagues here in Sweden insist it's a virus they've been passing around for weeks. Whatever it is, I've got it.

Last night was the most miserable night you can imagine - and I'll spare you the details. I was alternatively hot (fever) and cold (slept in my down jacket, wool hat, with two down comforters and my teeth were chattering so hard I was afraid I'd break a a veneer). At 8:30 AM my friend Sarah Watson (the one I ran the 4 mile race with last weekend, who is also here on business from NY) texted to me to see if I'd gone to the gym... I told her what happened and she checked in on me every few hours, which was nice. Since there's no working phone in the room, I couldn't even call the front desk for help! I kept thinking, do I need to go to the hospital?

Then at 9am I got an email from my Swedish colleague Roberto saying he had to cancel the party he'd invited me to tonight because he too had food poisoning, or the virus, whatever it is. Then the most senior person on our trip who organized and paid for everything sent me a note telling me to stay at the hotel tonight, on him, and that he was so sorry... Then Frida from the Swedish office called to make the hotel arrangements for me but I declined. I've got another hotel reserved and figured by afternoon, I had to be better, right? RIGHT?

Well, it's afternoon and while it's inconceivable that there's a speck of anything left in me, just like with running, the human body is full of surprises. I'm going to try very hard to rally right now and pack and check out. I've entirely missed what looks to have been a lovely, sunny day in Stockholm. Of course I can't actually "see" out the windows in my room but I have a feeling, based on the light.

There's been no running for 5 days. That's the longest I've gone without running, isn't it? I'm slated to go 13 miles on Sunday, after I get off the plane. I hope this hiatus doesn't prove detrimental. I'm not sure if my new hotel will have a gym, or an arrangement with a gym, so it's very possible I won't run tomorrow either. I guess, we shall just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment