Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 142: 10% Black

I wear a lot of black. I mean - a lot. Probably 90% of my wardrobe, including undergarments, is black.

I wasn't always this way... But then, I once had a boss in the 1990s who wore one of five black suits every day and even though we made fun of her for this, something about it appealed to me. She probably spent 30 seconds dressing in the morning, whereas I could spend an hour stressed out, pondering combinations. She never accidentally paired blue pants with black shoes. There were only black pants in her closet.

She was always chic, stylish and could spill lunch platter food on herself all through a meeting and still have everyone focusing on her words. Wearing all black all the time seemed like a power move. You were always ready for an impromptu dinner date after work. Nobody could say you were looking for attention. And black's slimming. Over time, I simply stopped buying color and eventually got to where I am today.

The thing is, for some reason, I've started wanting to wear color. Maybe it's the fun running clothes I see in the stores... Running seems like a place where an almost 40 year old might be able to get away with an electric yellow hair ribbon, or a striped shirt. Or maybe I'm being kookaroo and people of all ages can wear color. I've thought passingly about making it a goal to reduce my wardrobe down to 10% black (outer and under garments included) by 2011. Kind of arbitrary of me I suppose but I like the idea of it.

Anyway, I was shopping this past weekend and my eye caught a blouse that was brown and cream animal print. I've never owned anything with an animal print on it before in my life! Not even for a Halloween costume!! I tried it on and objectively, it looked really great! I should wear color more often! I bought it and wore it to work today and was surprised to find myself beyond self conscious in meeting after meeting... I just didn't know who I was. I kind of liked it... but it was also weird. Maybe I did too much too quickly. Perhaps I should have started with a monochromatic.

So, I'm not sure if 10% is the right target to be hoping to reduce to by 2011; but I do know I'm looking forward to putting something comfortable on again tomorrow! Let me see now... Which of my 12 pairs of black pants should I pick to wear? To match perfectly with one of my 25 black short sleeved sweaters... Such decisions.

Oh and running? Didn't do any today. Day of rest. But I promise the next running gear I purchase will not be black.

Addendum:
Tuesday, March 23rd. Black pants, black T-shirt and a Burberry plaid belt. (PS Still having trouble wearing a belt! Very bizarre.) But anyway, this would technically count as color wouldn't it? It's mostly cream with black and red plaid lines... and a silver buckle. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment