Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 126: 3 Miles in Sweden

Stockholm was at its wintry best today. About 20 degrees, but sunny and clear, without flurries. After a lovely Swedish breakfast at my hotel, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill.

Initially, I thought I'd run 5 miles, but then realized the machine was on kilometers... so it was only three. That's OK though. I was pretty worn out after 3, and as sweaty as I've ever been. I guess 36 hours of food poisoning can have an impact on your system! In fact, now I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't the fawn burger (or "wallenburgare") that set things off in the wrong direction, but rather this European "gastro" I keep hearing about. Anyway, I'm not 100% yet. Feeling MUCH better and totally functional, but still off.

Following my run, I went out sightseeing and walked around for about 7 hours. I stopped along the way for the Swedish tradition of fika, or "coffee break." Fika is seminal in Stockholm, and it's taken religiously by Swedes every few hours. Fika includes coffee and some form of sweet; but I skipped the sweets today. I did have some herring in the early afternoon. So delicious!

My mileage total for the week is... hold on to your seat... 3 miles! I'm slated to run 13 miles tomorrow when I hop off the plane. I readied my outdoor outfit before I left 2 weeks ago, just so I wouldn't have any excuses to skip it. I hope the weather in NY cooperates, that my flight isn't delayed, and that I have plenty of energy and enthusiasm for it when the moment comes! I'll still be seriously short of mileage on my training schedule this week, but what can you do. They say if you're sick below the neck, don't run. Anyway, I'm doing my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment