Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 131: New Personal Best (3M in 30:49/10:16 Pace)


Woo hoo! I ran a new personal best tonight! 3 miles in 30:49, which nets a pace of 10:16. That's 33 seconds faster per mile (or a 1:39 total savings!) than my last 3M PB, 34 days ago... Amazing! I'm really struggling to get back on track this week so I'm very excited about this progress. It helps. I feel encouraged that I can come back from the slippage I suffered after traveling and being sick.

It didn't "just happen," though; I made it happen - driven by boredom. Tonight I just wanted to run fast and get it over with sooner... I was tired. I wanted to hang out in my apt. I wanted it to end! I didn't start out trying for a PB or anything but half way through the 2nd mile I realized I'd started out pretty fast and if I didn't stop, I might beat my record. To challenge myself, I played with increasing my speed every 1/10 of a mile.

Tonight I also wore new sneakers that I'm not sure about yet. They're fancy pants shoes, let me tell you. They're "loaded" with every feature money can buy. They're Asics Gel-Nimbus 11 in White/Navy/Ice Blue with fantabulous asymmetrical laces... The laces are genius! The part I'm not sure about is the width. Even though they're billed as wide, they might be a little too narrow in one place. Funny 'cuase they aren't as wide as my regular width Sauconys.

I also wore my new "lollipop" orthotics which still hurt like a motherfucker but I figure I've got to put up with it or I'll never break them in. The burning sensation on the arch of my right foot is unreal. I now have long blister strips on the underside of both arches. Hope they go away over night... I'm not going to wear the orthotics for my 14 mile run on Sunday though; that's for sure!

I went low rent on the supplements tonight too. No Sport Beans or power meal beforehand. And I wore a really low tech outfit - Adam R.'s Air Force shorts and the same tank top I wore all day at work. I barely drank water, maybe a sip at the close of the first two miles. When you really want to do something, it doesn't matter how you're dressed for it; you just do it. Gosh now that would really make a fine tag line, wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment