Saturday, September 4, 2010

63: 5M Run & Ice Bath

What a gorgeous day it is in New York City today! I had my first Central Park run in over a month and loved every minute of it.

I went 5 miles and noted the usual patterns. The first mile was fun and easy, then I had to walk Cat Hill and take additional walk breaks for a minute each during miles 2, 3, and 4; but by mile 5 I was steady cruising. I wore my old 3/4 length orthotics and didn't feel any pain at all in my foot until mile 5, and then I had some sharp pains and strain that shot right up into my ankle for the rest of the distance.

I drank 22 oz. of Heed sport drink, which I carried with me on a belt, and had 2 sport beans at mile 2, just for old time's sake! My iPod was my trusty companion and the Nike+ gadget actually worked today for some reason.

It felt great to be out in the sun, people watching, and smelling the horse manure again! I was slow, so it took me over an hour to finish (1:05 in all) but the time flew in my head. Hard to imagine that I need to be running twice this distance by next weekend if I'm going to have any hope of being ready for the marathon. One day at a time, though. I really, really want to do this.

Now, to the ice bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment