Sunday, September 5, 2010

62: Weighing the Options

I spent a lot of time today thinking and talking with a trusted friend and fitness professional about the real prospect of my running the NYC marathon. Of course my goal has been to go 26.2 on November 7th; but I can see that my priorities have shifted. My new focus is on getting 100% better, so that I don't get into a chronic pain situation. I want to be able to run comfortably for the rest of my life.

So, my process has had some glitches. I tried steamrollering them into submission but that didn't work. I've got to be honest about where I am at, and be OK with that.

There's a very good chance I will not be running the marathon this year. I'm surprised to say I feel more than just "disappointment" as I entertain that direction. I also feel relief and excitement. It would be good to recover fully. It would be great to know I'm not jeopardizing my long term health. It would be wonderful to have another year of running and reflecting. I could work up to the 2011 marathon from quite a respectable base.

I'm not making a decision yet, just noticing that whatever happens, I'll find happiness with my path and life will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment