Wednesday, September 22, 2010

45: High Heels in Hotlanta

I was in Atlanta today presenting at a somewhat formal meeting. I didn't feel comfortable sporting my chunky orthopedic sandals with my short dress, especially in front of new people who would have no idea that I'm injured. They might just think I was a freak. So, out came a pair of my favorite 2" high heeled sandals from the back of the closet. Oh, how I've missed them!

To my surprise, they felt amazing - even after several hours of standing. What's the lesson here? I'm not sure. I guess that wearing heels doesn't have to be categorically bad. It might even be good as a relief to my high arches, which long to be supported.

So, now I'm on the hunt for medium-high heels with a wide toe box that are dressy enough for work and stylish enough for me to be able to cope with. I do genuinely wish I could wear sneakers all the time as they are the most comfortable shoes for me; but sneakers aren't really acceptable footwear for the workplace.

What ever happened to those shoes from the 1980s that had that ad campaign, "Looks like a pump... Feels like a sneaker!" Or was that just a spoof on "Saturday Night Live?" I can't remember. I'm going to have to Google that.

No comments:

Post a Comment