Wednesday, September 29, 2010

38: 5M PR (53:39/10:44 Pace)

I am confused. I just ran faster than I've ever run. In new shoes. Without dinner. And with an injury. Maybe running 18 miles just changes you?

I ran 2 miles straight and then took a one minute walk break, ran another 2, walked a minute, and then cranked up the speed. My right foot hurt after the second mile but I ignored it, watched TV, and formed a silent competition with the amazon height Annie Lennox pixie haired flat chested runner girl man next to me. She was running at 6 mph and barely looked like she was lifting her feet. She was fucking strolling while I turned red and looked like a tomato basted up and bursting under the broiler. I caught her look at my monitor a few times. Yeah, little girl can go as fast as you, man-lady! So, back off!

My previous PR for any race 3 miles or over was a pace of 10:55, and that was a 4 miler last winter. That's my fastest time on record with the NYRR. My best 5M pace on record was on June 20th, on Father's Day, when I ran an 11:05 pace. Of course, tonight I was running on the treadmill, not in the hilly Park, but still. This is a good sign. A very good sign.

I'm back to (b)asics with the new model of Asics I rejected over the weekend. The Brooks, as it turned out, are indeed strap-on crackers and I'm sorry I wasted my own time thinking I could (or should) change something as critical as my SHOES a month before the marathon.

Anyway, I went to Jack Rabbit to exchange them, but they were out of the Asics I need - I wear a weird size. They called around - none of the other stores had them either so they let me actually return them for a refund, which was nice. I tried Run, Foot Locker, and then finally Paragon had what I was looking for. With a new pair of Spenco RX Comfort Insoles (which I SWEAR by) and a swap out to 54" custom laces, which let me do that neat little hold your heel back trick, I was good to go... and the results speak for themselves. Mommy's making progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment