Monday, September 20, 2010

47: Shaken Baby Syndrome

First, the expected. Today I felt like crap. Worst recovery ever. It was as if my soft little vulnerably baby body had been shaken for 4 hours straight yesterday, leaving bruised ribs, tender shoulders, and a cloudy head.

I have a horizontal gash across my chest where my sports bra beat into my flesh. I wobbled along on stiff legs and tight calves all day. Sitting down, getting up, staircases - all a challenge. I used a foam roller on myself but that didn't seem to help. What I need to do is drink more water and get some potassium. And sleep. And swim. Tomorrow.

There's something else going on that's quite peculiar. I hesitate to write about it because I'm afraid you'll think I'm nuts. But when I woke up this morning, just about the only thing that didn't hurt was my feet - namely my bad right foot. As much as you think I'd be happy to report this, it's almost more disturbing... How could the pain just suddenly go? Did I snap something back into place while running yesterday? I don't remember feeling something snap into place. Do I have so much adrenaline coursing through my body right now that I just can't feel any pain? Am I in some kind of post traumatic stress mode that numbs me?

Basically, I am skeptical that I will continue to remain pain free. It seems impossible that I'm suddenly OK. But I suppose greater miracles have happened so I will keep a hopeful, open mind. Just doesn't fit the profile of what the doctor told me is wrong with me. Maybe he was mistaken?

No comments:

Post a Comment