Monday, August 2, 2010

96: High-Class Problems

Yesterday was the last straw. I knew I couldn't keep on keeping on without professional help in the form of physical therapy; and to get physical therapy, you need a doctor's note. So, orders of the day today were to 1) see the podiatrist, 2) get the Rx, and 3) find a physical therapist that could start seeing me immediately. Tall order, maybe, but I'm extra effective on Mondays...

At 7:30 AM I started calling physical therapy joints within one block of my apartment, preparing in advance, assuming the doctor would send me to one. I liked the idea of being near my apartment, so I could go on my way to work - preferably finding one attached to a deluxe gym, so I could work out and shower there afterwards using their delightful, free products. Of the 8 PT outfits I called, 5 took my insurance, and none had any opening for even an initial intake meeting until Friday. Friday! Not good enough.

I abandoned the search for a PT and shifted gears, setting up the podiatrist appointment for noon. Don't ask me how. It took a little negotiating, a lot of holding, and maybe a little bit of luck. Anyway, check!

The podiatrist (my darling Harriet the Spy) wiggled my foot around pretty minimally, looked at my sneakers, and had me describe what had happened. He had a lot of ideas and not one of them was, "Just keep running on it; it'll clear up on its own." Apparently, my instincts were bad.

So, the best case scenario is that I tore the capsule on July 3rd, and it never fully healed, and the pain I'm having is caused by inflammation and strain in the tendons which are compensating for the parts I'm favoring and avoiding using. The cure for that would be total rest, ice, PT and total rest and total rest. BUGGER! No running. At all. No swimming either, unless I vow not to use my legs, but biking would be fine.

The worst case scenario is that by running on an injured capsule, tendon, or plate, I have caused a stress fracture, which would mean putting my foot in a boot and definitely no marathon at all, no way, no how, not this year. Not happening. For some reason I didn't cry when he said that. I guess, the gravity of it all made me realize how grateful I was that we weren't talking about something like cancer, or the need for surgery. It's just a marathon. An injured toes is a pretty high-class problem in the scheme of life.

So, since we don't know exactly what's going on in there, we need an MRI to find out. I've scheduled that for Wednesday. Funny thing is, the podiatrist told me that insurance wouldn't have covered the cost of an MRI a month ago. So, once again, everything unfolds in some semblance of perfect timing.

After my exam was over, the podiatrist had his PT treat my foot on the spot with electro shock therapy, and sound wave therapy, and a footbath. He told me the new $125 sneakers I ordered online might not be the best for me, and where to go to get fitted for something new instead. He also told me my old sneakers aren't done yet - they're only half done. He's a good man that Harriet the Spy!

After the podiatrist visit, I raced back to the office and cancelled my backordered sneakers, which hadn't shipped yet! Then I called every Equinox in the city and checked their PT avails. Nothing. Determined, I next pulled up google maps and found an unglamorous PT office in the building literally across the street from my office. They had someone named Sammy who could see me at 4:30 today, and they had early hours, and late hours, and took my insurance. Done!

Sammy said the same things my podiatrist said, but he laid it on pretty thick about not running. Actually, he begged. He said, "Why is it always the runners who say they'll lay off but then they don't? They just love it so much?" I said I hate to run, and he looked mildly reassured. I promised I would not run for one full week. So, I'll go to my running classes Tues and Wed nights, but I won't run. I'll just listen. And watch. And ask about how to get a refund, in case it comes to that.

Then Sammy gave me the exact same sound wave and electro shock therapy treatments the podiatrist's PT had, 3 hours earlier, less the footbath. I worried that having them 2x in a day might be bad but Sammy said that's how professional athletes recover so quickly. They get them 2x a day. I inquired about renting the equipment and giving myself the treatments all day long under my desk. (I kind of like how it feels when it's zapping!) Sammy didn't like that question.

So, right now I feel like I'm on the right track and soon to have answers. I accomplished all my goals today, and more. With two PT sessions in one afternoon, I'm experiencing what it's like to be a professional athlete today! Only, where's my contract?

No comments:

Post a Comment