Saturday, August 7, 2010

91: Predominantly Ornamental (10M Bike, 900 Ft Swim)

It's a gorgeous day out today but since I don't own a bicycle, I had to do my biking workout inside. Sad. I went 10 miles on the dot in 41 minutes, at level 3. That's 3 minutes faster than I've ever biked 10 miles in the past. I love progress.

I was able to read the whole time, nearly finishing a book I'm loving. Today's a day all about crossing things off my list so I was grateful for the opportunity to multi-task and advance two things at once. I'm going to turn that last page tonight if it kills me... and can't wait to pick my next book!

After biking I went to the pool, even though I was told not to. The key reason I was told I shouldn't swim was that I'd be risking using my foot. Well, the trainer at the gym showed me a buoy shaped especially to fit between your legs, so that you can swim without kicking. Fabulous!

My arms are my weakest part so I decided to just go 20 laps, which amounts to 900 feet, or .16 miles! Wow - just when you were thinking I might impress you! I've got a long way to go with swimming, baby. My form's fine, but I realized today how much I rely on my legs for power. I've always been a good kicker. My arms are predominantly "ornamental" though. I'm kind of like a dinosaur. Strong legs, tough skin, big head, open mouth, delicate little hands. Good for surviving on land. Not so good in the sea. You can't be unbalanced like that if you want to progress at an endurance sport. I'd have stayed longer today but I had to get back upstairs to shower and head out. Another time.

I tried out my new bathing suit today and it makes me feel like I'm in 4th grade again, when Speedo racing suits were in fashion. I've chosen a racer back by TYR that's as flattering as anything that goes up to your neck and is open in the back would ever be on me! Black with some electric blue wiggly lines. My goggles fit nicely, and have a spit back so they secure around my ponytail; the only thing is, when I tried them on in the store, fabulous Mary from Jackrabbit (who I just noticed today is featured on the store's TV ad!) didn't have me look in the mirror and I must say, they are NOT flattering. I've got a slightly disabled look when I put them on. Clear plastic is not really my color. Anyway, I'm confident they aren't the first thing anyone's going to notice when I'm in my pool gear! They're fine for now.

The silicone swim cap Mary directed me to is too small. I rinsed it out and will try to exchange it the next time I'm near the store. I guess Mary didn't notice my big dinosaur head when she selected the small. The thing literally popped up off at one point while I was in the pool!

I have to say, I've been really diligent about doing my PT exercises and icing, and at this moment, my foot feels better than it has in a month. Truly. I'm going to wait for the official go-ahead (hopefully Monday night, just in time to get my MRI results) but I predict I'll be running at Tuesday's speed work session. At least I hope so. If they tell me I still need another week of rest I will believe them and comply, but at this moment, I'm very encouraged that I will eventually get all better, and I won't have to drop out of training for the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment