Monday, August 16, 2010

82: Der Schuh zum Wohlfühlen

My new Finn Comfort shoes finally arrived today care of Zappos and they're right out of the hippie manual. I mean, if hippies could afford them.

I've never seen shoes quite like this. They've got self-moulding foot beds, and a wide chassis, if you can call the middle of a shoe a chassis. No expense has been spared, and each expense has been billed back to me; these shoes are the Mercedes of Birkenstocks. I'm actually a little bit embarrassed to walk out of the house in them.

I'm not embarrassed because they're expensive, I'm embarrassed because they are downright geriatric. Or "weird" as my mother would say. In fairness, when I first tried the style on at a shoe store near my office, the actress Carol Kane (best known for her role as Simka Dahblitz-Gravas, wife of Latke, on the TV show Taxi) was there trying on a similar pair. Maybe that should have been a red flag!

I'm not sure I'm ready to be batchable with Carol Kane. On any measure.

The thing is, I have to admit, these shoes are darn comfortable. When I put them on, my feet feel like they've slid into two oven mitts lined with German butter. I need to wear them for now, because of the foot, so I will. After that, I'll let you know whether I'm returning to high heels or starting down the slippery slope to the wide width world of the well heeled alter cocker.

No comments:

Post a Comment