Tuesday, August 17, 2010

81: Limbo Tuesday

I had an ultrasound yesterday at the Hospital for Special Surgery, with Dr. Adler, the best guy for the job. Dr. Adler told me he didn't think I had anything catastrophic going on that he could see, just a bunch of smaller problems that have compounded.

Tomorrow I will go back to Dr. Positano and hear his plan for rehabilitating me. I've been compliant. No running or biking. I'm icing. I'm wearing a compression bandage. I've got sensible shoes. Now the doctor will tell me if there's a realistic plan that can get me into shape in time to run the marathon.

I'm really nervous. Nervous if he says no - and how I'll cope with that - and nervous if he says yes - and the MASSIVE amount of work I have ahead of me. I can't over-train, or I'll get injured again; and I can't under-train, or I'll never make it. How does a newbie like me know the difference?

Thankfully, tonight is the last night of "not knowing" whether I will or won't get the green light to run again. I've been up all night with insomnia for days now due to the stress this has been causing me. I've always been prone to insomnia. Actually, running's the only thing that's ever really helped me manage it. So right now, with stress, plus no-running, I'm really suffering. I'm about to hit the wall. I hope by tomorrow night the only thing I'll be hitting is the hay...

No comments:

Post a Comment