Monday, August 9, 2010

89: MRI Results

I got the results of my MRI today. My podiatrist called to discuss them. He sounded confused when we talked and told me I needed to go for a second opinion. I pointed out that he had been my second opinion. Then he said he felt dizzy and had to go.

He called back a while later to apologize, and told me he's actually seriously ill, and that he really thought I should get a second opinion. I asked him to fax the report to me. He did, and I sent it on to my orthopedist for his opinion. I also had the report faxed to my physical therapist.

I'm not 100% sure what the next steps are. I do know, however, that I did not tear the capsule. That in and of itself is good news, but knowing my ortho's diagnosis was wrong is a bit disconcerting. So now, it seems, I've got myraid other things wrong in there that are probably more serious and longstanding, and I don't quite understand what my next steps are. Rehab may take a very long time. The podiatrist said I will not be recovered in time to run the marathon, and that he doesn't advise I plan on a career as a runner. I"m not able to accept this yet. I might choose not to accept it.

I cried a little bit at my desk at work. This is not the way I thought my story was going to end. I suddenly feel old and damaged. And defeated. I know, I have to snap out of this mood. I need a plan. And fast. I don't know if I should drop out of the NYRR training program I'm in and try to get some of my money back. Maybe.

I'm hoping to get more information tomorrow from the orthopedist. For now, I was told to ice as often as I can- at least 5x a day, and start taking anti-inflammatory medication. I can swim. Biking is more risky. And I have to stop wearing any kind of high heeled, narrow toed dress shoe, which is really almost more of a problem than anything else!

3 comments:

  1. ugh, i am so sorry michelle, this all so stressful. you need to see a top notch doctor who can help you or failing that send you to someone who can. i can't say enough good things about doctor tay. 212-253-9322.
    Gramercy Park Physicians, LLC
    10 Union Square East Suite 5M1 New York , NY 10003 Located at 14th street and 4th ave
    He doesn’t take any insurance and charges $500 per visit. The lab he sends its stuff to does take insurance, though. he is a docor house type of physician. good luck! hugs and kisses

    Yeah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear all this Michelle! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete