Thursday, August 26, 2010

72: A Moving Standard

In addition to resting, icing and compression, I've also been on 600 mg of Ibuprofen a day for my foot, to reduce swelling. I didn't know if the Rx strength Motrin was actually doing anything until today, when I forgot to take it, and was in pain again. Not only did my arch hurt but the toe joint too, where my original injury happened.

I'm starting to tire of this story line. I am ready to be focusing again on brands of socks, and the best lubricants to prevent chafing. I'm losing motivation. Not saying I'm quitting; I'm just saying, it's getting hard to choose indoor this and stationary that over real life fun.

Tonight I was supposed to hit two social events and then get myself home by 8:30 PM to train. I had the best intentions and extricated from the first party on schedule; but the second party was just too good to leave. Friends where there, and friends of friends. Wine, cheese and homemade cookies. The conversations were flowing - a mix of philosophy and giggling; and then we took it up to the roof deck.

My friend who was hosting lives a block north of the Empire State Building and her roof deck is a well appointed space enclosed by a country style white picket fence. As we sat around a table in the perfect night air, we looked up at the humbling Empire State Building and spoke about our dreams, the nature of success, whose birthdays were coming up and how we'd celebrate. The moon hung overhead in a strange way - bright white in the clear sky, but an odd shape, like a chunk of quartz dangling from fishing wire.

When we were packing up to go home, I thought how important it is that I not feel guilty about missing a night in the gym. (Pangs had started to rise.) There are many, many disadvantages to the life I find myself living in the city, keeping the schedule I do, and chasing after a very narrow dream. When a uniquely New York night like tonight comes up, along with a chance to connect with people I really care about, there shouldn't be a pause...

I guess what I'm saying is, priorities aren't absolute. In some cases, head-stands will trump treading water; and in others, rooftop parties might trump the stationary bike. Approaching a big event I'm training for, running would normally go before anything else; but since I simply can't run, right now I get to enjoy a bit of a moving standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment