Wednesday, August 25, 2010

73: Bent Out of Shape

"That shirt is funny," little 5-year-old "D" said to me from the doorway. I'd just put my favorite summer top on. It's navy blue with white decoration on it. Cotton. A tunic with a Mandarin collar. Very classic. There's nothing funny about it. I bought it years ago when I was thinner and was thrilled this spring when I tried it on and found it was loose again.

"What do you mean, sweet pea?" I said, gently, expecting her to tell me that what she really meant was it was pretty. "D" adores me and wants to do whatever I am doing; but instead, she paused and crinkled her brow, trying to conjure the words.

A bit tentatively, she offered, "It's a weird shape."

"What do you mean?" I said still feeling cheerful and sure we had a little Mrs. Malaprop situation on our hands. I took her hand and we went over to the mirror together. Really, whatever could she mean?

Then I saw it. The shirt's intended boxy shape was intact from my shoulder to my elbow... but then there was a sharp interruption - the silhouette of a muffin top - obnoxiously protruding between my waist and hip. Horror!

I suppose I'd seen the offending "bump" when I'd passingly glanced at myself in the mirror just moments before "D" had entered to sound the alarm, but I'd attributed any apparent flaws to the dim light and my poor posture. It was impossible to deny it now. I turned back to her and said,"You know what? You're right. This shirt doesn't fit. I will change. You go downstairs and move the coffee table and I'll be there in a few minutes and we can do head-stands together." "D" skipped off happily, unaware of the can of plump worms she'd just opened and punted at my head.

When I was running 20 miles a week, I was burning calories like crazy. Swimming and biking just aren't the same as running, even if I put in the same amount of time. Until I can run again, I need to consciously reduce the calories I'm consuming and try not to get even more bent out of shape. I haven't gained any pounds on the scale in the last two months, but that doesn't mean my body's muscle:fat ratio hasn't changed. I guess it has. (Or maybe I was just a bit puffy today from the last few days' indulgences?)

Whatever the case, vacation is over tomorrow and that must mark a return to using food primarily as nutrition, not entertainment! No exercise today as I was in transit through heavy rainstorms that caused air traffic delay. Tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment