Monday, October 4, 2010

33: My Recycled Silver Lining

I wasn't going to admit this but, I kept the disposable silver foil warming blanket I was given after the Disney half. Why? Because I'm a little sentimental, I guess. It was light and easy to fold up into my bag. Never in a million years did I think I'd be using it again the very next night.

I'm in glorious Mexico on business this week and spent my first night at my favortite hotel, the boutique Hotel de Cortes, which is a converted old monastery in the middle of Mexico City's historic district. We took the whole place over for a brand summit. I've had giant suites there before but this time, my room was smaller and the air conditioning was overwhelming. I tried turning it off with the various remotes with Spanish instructions but all I managed to do was turn the fan off. I was freezing...

Somewhere around 1AM I got the desperate idea to dig out my silver foil warming "blanket," wrap myself in it, and get back into bed. Totally did the trick, although I must admit I woke myself up with the loud crinkling every time I rolled over throughout the night.

Tonight I'm in the mountains of Veracruz, an hour flight away from Mexico City, where we have no phone or Blackberry service; but by the grace of our own invention, have wireless internet. (I believe we made the eco lodge we're staying at install it just for us.) I am typing to you now from my own private tent, complete with a canopy bed. Heaven...

Anyway, if it's cold tonight, which it just might be, my blanket's going to be recycled yet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment