Wednesday, October 6, 2010

32: 3M Group Run in Veracruz

I figured one day I’d finally break down and try running with a group; but I never expected my first time to be with a bunch of work mates from all around the world. We are down in Mexico this week for a summit and, during introductions, we realized many of us had more than just a parent employer (and belief in brand) in common. We like to run.

Six of us (Andrea, Amanda, Doron, Nicholas and Billy) decided to go for a 3 mile run in the morning in the mountains of Veracruz, where we are working today. All of the above have finished marathons or triathlons in the last few years, so I knew I wasn’t going to be able to keep up the whole way, but I pushed myself hard and didn’t fall back until the half-way point. The air was thin and my hamstring was giving me trouble. I wasn’t embarrassed or anything though because I did my best.

The scenery along the run was so beautiful. I wish I’d brought my camera to share images with you of the lush jungle, the wild flowers, the donkeys, roosters and dogs I passed along the way. The only downside was that I felt a tiny bit scared on the second half by myself because kidnapping is a real issue in Mexico, and, of course, I was vulnerable without the others.

While the “group” aspect of today's run was as disconcerting as I’ve always feared it might be, in a lot of ways there were positives I hadn’t expected. We talked. Well, they talked and I mostly listened. That was much better than listening to an iPod. It’s not like we even talked about anything important. I mean, we talked about Kim Kardashian. But it made the time fly as we learned about each other and voiced personal opinions. None of us had met in person before this trip so it was a great way to bond and connect without culture barriers or the complications we might get caught up in over email and phone while in our international work roles.

I’m thinking now that I really want to find a running partner in NYC, someone my height and speed, and with similar goals and availability. I wish I had a twin I could force to go running with me.

This past year has been all about getting to know myself, and building confidence in what I feel. Maybe next year will be all about sustaining that self-awareness and respect in the company of a group. If nothing else, I’m sure I’d enjoy a little competition with someone other than myself. Plus, how else will I keep up with the Kardashians?

1 comment:

  1. Awe... this is so awesome! I love how running unites us. I don't think I EVER would've been able to run a marathon (let alone 9) and do a triathlon (let alone 3) without a buddy. So I say go for it! ;)
    And one last thing... YOU amaze me!

    ReplyDelete