Sunday, October 24, 2010

13: Gonna Have a Pep Rally!

I need a pep rally right about now! So I've organized one with three others who are also running the marathon. We don't just share that in common - we're all also supporting the same charity, Blue Card.

Please come out and let me know you think I can do it!!! Offer a word of support, enjoy amazing drink specials ($3 bottled beer, $5 martinis), see old friends, meet new friends, get inspired to start being active yourself, maybe win some cashola through a 50/50 raffle... It's going to be a blast! Pass this invite on, too. More the merrier!

If you want to see me along the running route at the marathon itself, I'll have maps at the pep rally with meeting points and approximate times when and where I think you'll be able to catch me.

I am running to raise money for an amazing cause so I'll ask you to consider making a $10-20 donation at the door (unless you've already supported me online - just let me know at the door). Here is a link to my donation page:
http://www.crowdrise.com/michellesandersforbluecard/fundraiser/HatesToRun

My charity, Blue Card, is a very interesting one you may not have heard about before. It gives material support to impoverished survivors of the Holocaust - many of whom live in our country and are without family or other resources. Can you imagine surviving a concentration camp as a child, but now having to choose between medication and food in your old age?

If you make a donation to the Blue Card, your money won't be spent on petri dishes and direct mailings, it will go directly to survivors, giving them immediate solutions to problems most of us are privileged not to experience. You can read about Blue Card in this NYT article that ran in last week's Sports section: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/sports/22marathon.html?_r=4&ref=sports

I also have a special program going for kids 12 and under who want to come out and support me at the race itself! It's my "5 for $5" offer! All your child has to do is give me a high-5 along the way while I'm running and I'll donate $5 to the Blue Card in his or her name. (Don't worry, I'll make it easy! Just tell me where to look for you guys!)

So, where's the party? Address above, but here's a link if you like pictures and details. http://crotonnyc.com/

I'll be at The Croton Reservoir Tavern (aka Croton Tavern, Croton Reservoir, The Brick Lounge) starting at 5PM and there will be Happy Hour specials running until 9PM, so come on down! If you're a runner, or don't want to drink, there will be a bounty of bananas and delicious non-alcoholic drink options for you (and for me!).

Croton Tavern is conveniently located in Midtown near all mass transit, just blocks from Port Authority, Grand Central, Penn Station, Times Square and Bryant Park. Take the shuttle bus from the Javits Center to Times Square if you are going to the Marathon Expo first.

I hope to see you on Thursday, November 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment