Saturday, October 9, 2010

28: En Garde, Brooklyn!

I'm home sick in bed today. Congestion migrating down from my sinuses to my chest. Every time I blow my nose I pop my ears and release what feels like a head full of yellow yum. You know, classic cold symptoms. Nothing special, nothing I don't know how to handle; just have to sweat it out, drink a lot, and wait.

I've got reading material with me. The NYT, a marathon guide book that arrived in the mail last week, and boat loads of emails to read and photos and videos to sort through and upload. While in iPhoto just now, I wandered. Way back to the beginning, or the beginning of iPhoto, as it were. Past loves, past jobs, past Halloweens, past pets, and past races. I see patterns.

The quality of my smile is very different with different people. I look best in pink. I never lose my sunglasses. Nothing compares to a salon blow out. I've had some pretty awesome work experiences. I'm always on the right side in a group shot. And Jesus Christ I've made progress with running! I don't think I really have been appreciating that... and I need to right about now.

Ten months ago I ran my first race, the Bedford Turkey Trot. It was only 3.1 miles and my pace was 13:30. I knew nothing about dressing for the weather, or fueling. I struggled the whole way. I was just excited to finish and not be the last one to cross the finish line.

Now I've completed three half marathons, the latest of which was down at the Mouse's East Coast headquarters. My race pace there was 13:03 - and I was pretty bummed about that. But really? Am I being fair to myself? That's :27 seconds faster than my first race pace, stretched out over more than 4x the distance! If that isn't progress then I don't know what is...

That said, I'd really like a sub 11:53 pace (my Brooklyn Half pace) tomorrow as I run over the garbage dumps of Staten Island in what will be my fourth half marathon. Sure, mouse beats turkey; but will Staten Island beat Brooklyn? It's a battle of the boroughs. If my cold will retreat for the day, then I'm going to give Brooklyn a run for its money.

No comments:

Post a Comment