Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 118: 5 Miles At Sunrise

Game on! I took myself to the gym this morning at the crack of dawn and ran 5 miles on the treadmill. All I can say is, don't lose faith in me quite yet... I know I can do a mental number on myself on down days, and that's a drag to listen to; but when I'm back, I'm back! Thank you to my buddies who encouraged me not to think of a few days off as an apocalypse. What would I do without you? XOXOX

I started with a warm up walk and then the first two miles were hard going. I went maggot style at maybe 4.6 mph. Then, by the end of mile 3, I was up to 5 mph, which is where I'm most comfortable over a long run. For the last mile I took it up to 6.2 mph. Nothing super fast today and that was fine with me.

I've still got a food hangover from my 4 days of Mexican debauchery! I burned 550 calories in today's effort, which should help offset whatever damage I do today at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival. I'm going to be on my feet working all day in sneakers, and then out tonight, so it's not like I'm planning to sit down with a plate of ribs; but still, you know, I'm pretty sure I won't be having cottage cheese with pineapple for lunch.

My next run down here will be outside and I'm looking forward to hearing the sound of the ocean, watching the sun rise again across the surface of the water, and feeling the breeze as I go. I kind of like the idea of doing a short run right on the sand, maybe 3 miles? Would I do that barefoot or in shoes? I've never run on the beach before; I have no clue how you do it. Then I am scheduled to tackle a 12 mile run on Sunday and of course I'll do that outside. I need to map out a route, plan what to wear, and psych myself up... because 12 miles sounds like a damn lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment