Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 110: Bib Number 3,000

I picked up my bib today for Saturday's NYRR race to benefit Haiti. I was so excited when I saw that my bib was a round number; it's 3,000! Round numbers are of course rare and special... and mean nothing - but it's fun to feel chosen for a second.

There are over 9,000 people signed up for this race already and more pouring in by the day. There were signs posted all over the building saying there wouldn't be corrals at the race; so everyone just starts anywhere they want, not based on historical times... Oh boy - it's gonna be a mob scene!

I'm planning to try to meet up with as many friends as I can who will be running or walking, which means bringing my phone... and probably feeling really frustrated. I can just hear it now, "I'm in black running tights and a black beanie! By the tree!" Ummm... The thing is, I want to focus on this as a real run, and not just a "fun run." I've never run with anyone before and this race isn't going to be my first try! I'll say hi and then get in the zone by myself. I need to pace myself, run pretty fast for me, and try to beat my 5 mile time from Jan 9th. I hope I can do it!

I was thinking tonight though that I might like to try to find someone to train for the Marathon with. I don't know if I could do it - run with someone else - but I'm curious. Actually, I'm more scared than curious but I'm learning that those two things often go hand in hand.

Today I was supposed to run 5 miles. Well, actually yesterday I was supposed to run 5 miles; but my schedule for the week got thrown off because I did my 11 miler on Monday, not Sunday, so I was gonna do the 5 today. I got down to the gym late tonight after a long, long day and fully intended to run 5 on the treadmill but all the treadmills were taken. I got on the elliptical instead while I waited and went for 10 measly minutes before I got bored and annoyed, and switched to lifting 3 lb weights three ways for maybe another 10 minutes. When it was nearly time for the gym to close one of the treadmills freed up but I opted to just stretch a little and head back to my apartment. What I really need tonight is sleep. I trust my muscles will be ready for 4 miles on Saturday. They just did 11 for crissake! What's 4? Chump change... (If only it felt that way!)

1 comment:

  1. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW Michelle. I'll be rooting for you (as always)!

    ReplyDelete