Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 104: The Lollipop Cure

I picked up my new orthotics today and was startled at their appearance. Not only did they have high arches protruding, which I'd expected, but there was a strange ball and stick formation popping up out of each foot bed, as if a Charms Blow Pop had fallen into the molds while they were drying.

I saw a substitute doctor in the practice today because Harriet the Spy was on vacation. I questioned the sub about the lollipops and she grew cross with me that I didn't know - of course, they were because of my neuromas. My neuromas? I happen to know that neuroma means "tumor" and so I probably got a slightly alarmed look on my face when she said that and that made her get all hissy and mean and stomp out.

When she came back, she said the candy part of the lollipop was to push up on my neuroma, and the stick would separate the toes and relieve pain. She had me try them on and it felt absurd, as if I were standing on... a lollipop. She told me to talk to Harriet when he got back. Then she cut the orthotics down to fit into my shoes and shoved me out the door.

Before I left the office I cornered the receptionist and made her show me my chart where I found a full description of my condition and had something at least to go home and Google. Along with bone spurs, hammer toes and corns, I have Morton's Neuroma, which isn't so much a tumor as two nerves that have smashed together so badly that they adhere, making one big nerve, and causing pain with every step. High heels aggravate this condition and unfortunately, I like my high heels.

I was warned by the mean substitute doctor not to wear the new orthotics for more than an hour the first time, and two hours the second time. I had a 3.5 mile run to complete tonight according to the schedule, so I thought that would be the perfect first foray. The lollipop action felt supremely weird to walk on and only marginally less weird to run on. I didn't notice any less foot pain. Actually, I had slightly more foot pain - and the place where I blister on my left foot? Now I've got the biggest blister ever.

I'm not one to give up quickly on something just because it doesn't fit right. There's a breaking in process with everything new. The thing I'm not clear about here with the orthotics is whether I'm breaking them in, or they're breaking my feet in. Right now it feels like the latter.

I ran 3.5 miles in 38:15, without stopping, netting a 10:56 mile. I wasn't trying to go fast or slow. I just went how I wanted to go and tried very hard not to obsess about the blister. I felt strong during, but was overcome with nausea when I stopped abruptly at the end and didn't cool down or even bother to stretch. Just had to rip my damn shoes off - bloody hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment