Saturday, December 5, 2009

Day 35: Balance

It's Saturday today, and I'm in North Lake Tahoe, CA, on a business trip. I'll be on the road now for a week but am determined to keep up my training, at odd hours if necessary, and despite the awkwardness of traveling with not only a week's worth of business clothes for three geographies, but enough running gear.

A friend recently gave me an old copy of Runner's World. It was the November issue, which comes out in October, so it was filled with pre-marathon and Turkey Trot advice and advertising. I was really surprised by how accessible the content was. I'd of course heard of Runner's World but assumed it was only for high performing runners - not for newbies like me. On the plane between NY and Reno, I found myself devouring the features, one after the next.

In the magazine there was a chart that gave beginning training advice - how to train for a Turkey Trot! Gee... wish I'd known about that a few weeks ago! But anyway, I saw I'd pretty much done everything wrong, which was strangely reassuring - that if I'd done it right, maybe it would have been easier. I decided to use some of the 5K training tips for my next workout.

After working outdoors for most of the day, in 11 degree Fahrenheit weather, I finally had time to head over to the gym - but when I got there, I found it locked and empty. What!? NO! I refused to take no for an answer... I circled the building entirely, looked for a service entrance - anything. I was prepared to sneak in! The lights were on inside the building. Finally, out of desperation - last ditch effort - I tried just banging hard on the glass doors! Eventually, someone from housekeeping emerged and stared at me tentatively. I pleaded and held an entire conversation with her through the glass door until finally, she let me in!

As directed by Runner's World, I walked one mile to warm up, and then ran 2 miles alternating between walking (at a pace of 3.5 mph) and running (on a 3 point incline, at a pace of 4 mph). Instead of listening to music, I watched Nancy Grace repeat the Tiger Woods 911 call about seven times, and Joy Behar interview Howie Mandel. Boring! But I didn't need better entertainment.

As hard as miles 2 and 3 were to get through, especially at the end, I had fun with my new game - guessing my own heart rate. I'm pretty good at it! Today I was accurate every single time within one bpm. I also like to watch the calories burn, and study my breath. Runner's World talks a lot about being able to hold a conversation while you are running (you're supposed to be able to). Let me be very clear about this to any newbie like me who might read this blog - I am NOT able to hold a conversation while running yet! Are you kidding? I'm barely able to do the whole "breath in through your nose, out through your mouth" thing - but I am trying.

My workout took 45 minutes, so my pace wasn't so fantastic - and slower than I achieved at the Turkey Trot - but it's my first three mile run since the Trot and I'm very proud to have completed it. After running I treated myself to a luxurious steam. Now sushi and then back to work... I think this really is what they mean when they talk about having "balance" in your life. Feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment