Saturday, December 26, 2009

Day 56: Ice Storm

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When there's an ice storm, and the roads are too slick to go running, go skiing! That's what I did today with my 17 year old cousin Teddy despite the absolute worst weather either of us have ever gone out in! Ice, rain, freezing temps - nobody else was dumb enough to hit the slopes on a day like today so the one thing we didn't have to contend with was crowds. Properly layered and armed with my new sizzling hot flip video thingy (thank you Matt) to keep us amused, we had so much fun we didn't even stop for lunch. A former skateboarder, Ted cuts a fine form in the snow even though he's primarily a skier. I don't think you can be 17 and not board; I'm even tempted to try it - though my more burning interest at the moment is to try cross-country skiing. I tarried along at Teddy's pace, jetting ahead now and again to try to capture a hot dog trick or two; but I always seemed to miss it or screw up the record button. I have become my mother! Geeezus! The one thing I didn't miss, however, was Teddy's ability to talk on the phone the entire time he was going downhill. We'd be on sheer drops of ice, wet rain blowing up into our faces, but there was Ted, taking another call, hooking it up with friends back in Brooklyn. He stares down danger with confidence. He rides without a leash - illegal in some states I'd like to point out - and I don't think he wiped out once! Cool as a cucumber. Oh, to be 17. So, I got a bit of a workout in and muddled through what was actually supposed to be a "day off." Gordon wanted me to rest because tomorrow I have a big four mile run... forgive me Gord-o! I couldn't help myself. I hope I haven't sabotaged this whole thing. If I don't make it across that 13.1 mile mark on April 25th, I won't blame you.

No comments:

Post a Comment