Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 45: New Shoes

Mamma's got a new pair. Since the day I started running, people have been telling me to get a second pair of running shoes; but I'm really good at putting off "recommended procedure" until I personally feel the urge or need to comply. This oft repeated suggestion just stank ever so slightly to me of a marketing racket... I decided to hold off as long as possible and see how it all went. Who knew if running would even pan out and, if it didn't, then I'd be stuck with two very expensive pairs of shopping shoes.

The urge came on its own though, two days ago, on Sunday. I was doing my big two-mile run without stopping and somewhere along the way, I became way too aware of the shoes. I just wanted to smash the heck out of them with my feet. I tried not to obsess about the feeling but it wouldn't go away. It was a strange thing to notice because I actually love my first pair of shoes. They're Saucony, with big toe boxes and narrow ankles - perfect for my feet.

When I first got my Sauconys at the Super Runner's Shop on Columbus, I called them my Flash Gordon shoes because they're, well, a little flashy. Not at all flashy compared to some of the options out there, but I dress almost entirely in black (if you must ask, I am channeling my inner Greek widow); so for me - they were uncomfortably attention-grabbing. When I'd bought them, the sales woman had first directed me to a sleek and sophisticated pair of Brooks running shoes. They were understated, professional looking, and didn't draw any unnecessary attention to my feet - I gushed.

Next I tried on the Flash Gordons with a bit of an eye roll; but I had to admit they were marshmallow heaven... and made the Brooks feel like strap-on crackers. I pouted a little. I expressed my concern that people would be looking at my feet. The clerk had me run in both pairs, and a few other pairs, and we concluded that overall, my running posture was the best in the Saucony, and it didn't suck that they had a lot of spring in their step since I'd been winded by the one-block trials she'd put me through! I needed all the help I could get. The sales clerk also pointed out that when I ran, nobody was going to look at my feet. At the time I'd thought she meant that people were too busy and self-absorbed in New York City to notice me. I realize now, she was probably thinking, "When you barrel down the block, there's a lot more interesting stuff to look at than your feet, lady!" Move out the way!

I later purchased separate green footbeds for my first pair of shoes, the kind professionals use, that come with a guarantee; and of course I added my orthotics. I also let someone do that fancy top lace thing so your foot doesn't slide forward. Now, I was queen of the elaborate butterfly lanyards for six years at sleep away camp, but the secret to this sneaker lace-up trick still totally eludes me! Back, over, under, through - and then Lord help ya if you need to loosen them.

I love my Saucony shoes, so when I felt this strong urge to go for pair number two, I gave it a day...to see if it was just a passing phase. No need to act rashly. Monday came and went; but today, I woke up and knew I needed to have them. Tonight I was scheduled to take a killer intenSati class at the Vanderbilt YMCA. I'd buy the new shoes on my way to the class, and then test them out with an hour of turbo-aerobic-yogic-spaztastic jumping up and down!

When I arrived at Super Runner's Shop in Grand Central, I saw my current pair of running shoes propped up for sale up on the shelf - same color and everything. As Carrie Bradshaw would say, "Hello...lover!" I could just get another pair of the same shoes! Yes! So easy... but I wasn't sure what experts like my pal Hal would say about that. Was the point of the second pair of shoes to have the foot sitting in a slightly different torture boat? I asked the clerk and she stared at me blankly, as if I were taking this all a little too seriously. Then she told me that the model I currently had wasn't actually the optimal support for my freakishly high arches, and directed me to another style, which was $70 more expensive, ran small so I had to take a half-size up, and still doesn't really fit.

I went off to intenSati hoping that when I jammed my foot in the shoe over there, the anticipation of the class or something would make my foot shrink and the whole thing would slip on like butter. Needless to say, it didn't. Ten minutes into the class, both of my feet had gone numb and I had to run to the back of the room and switch the shoes out for my trusty old Flash Gordons. PS My new shoes are even flashier - black with hot pink accents - the same shoes the teacher has - and you know you think you're a big shot when you have the same shoes the teacher has! Yikes!

So now, I have a new pair of really tight running shoes to stare at and be mad about. Folks at the gym told me I'd just need to break them in a few times and they'd be fine. One guy said to me sarcastically, "What? Are you training for the Marathon or something?" Well yes I am, I told him. It took him a few minutes to get that I wasn't kidding. Anyway, I hope everyone's right and these shoes do break in or I know what I'm re-wrapping for my re-gifting birthday party this January!

So, tonight I did an hour of intenSati, which incorporates running, arm circles, jacks, stretching, non-stop vigorous aerobics, endless bending, clapping, ballet pliers and bows, standing on one foot, and - as I've mentioned before - yelling out affirmations such as: "Yes! I want it! Willpower! I've got it!" Half-way into it, you have forgotten whatever you said you wanted in the beginning of the class, and all you want is for the damn hour to end! I can barely walk right now. Hot bath, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment