Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 60: Cocky on the Mic

I got a little *playful* flack yesterday about my ultra-fantastic day. Lost a pound... Easy run... Good times! It's all peppermint and incense in my world, isn't it? Well, I'd like to quote one of my favorite hip hop lyrics which I think is one of the most sincere lines in modern rap. It's from Nelly's song "Number 1." It starts with, "Now let me ask you man, what does it take to be # 1? 'Cause 2 is not a winner & 3 nobody remembers... I am #1..." and then at the end - he softens, "I'm cocky on the mike but I'm humble in real life." I listen to this one a lot while I'm running.

If I ever seem to be overly competitive, or boasting about a moment of success, I promise you, it's for entertainment value only; I am humble in real life. In fact I have a deep appreciation for my ability to even take running on - that I have a body and a life that allow me to enter into such a realm. I also feel gratitude for the support I'm getting from friends - which I didn't plan on, but makes such a big difference it surprises me. When people say they enjoy reading this, or that my process has made them think about what they want to challenge themselves to do, it's the greatest high I can imagine! Then finally there is the experience of achieving goals - many and frequently. This makes me feel alive again in a life I'd started to feel pretty dead in.

I do understand though about yesterday... People tune in to read a certain kind of story - one of determination in the face of obstacles. When there's no obstacle, and the wind is at my back, maybe my story loses some of its zip? You want "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and I've given you "Gidget." This blog's called "Michelle Hates to Run." I get it - it's supposed to be fiery, irreverent and (oh I do hope) eventually ironic! How dare I switch the tone on you!

Well, relax, because the cynicism is back on tap today! It's Day 60 and I woke up to find I'd not only regained that pound I lost yesterday, but added an additional half. See? A little time passes and a new challenge is but a page away... Patience!

Today is a day of rest so I won't get to test my running mettle again until tomorrow when I'll be going four miles. Oh boy! I can hardly wait! Honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment