Monday, December 14, 2009

Day 44: My Pal Hal

Today was a day of rest - but I did some strength training. I did repetitions of light (3 lb) arm weights and four sit ups. Yes, I said four. Shut up!

I will start 12 weeks of Half Marathon training on Monday, Dec 28th, and so now I'm in a two week process of training to train. My goal for the two weeks is to progressively increase my distance until I am able to run 3 miles without stopping, and alternatively, comfortably, at a pace of 6.0 mph for at least part of a mile - so that I can call myself a runner. I also want to maintain my achievement of being able to run for 30 minutes straight. Finally, I need to do this while incorporating more days of rest. I know that sounds antithetical, but the truth is, there's an addictive quality to running "every day" which I've latched on to and the thought of taking more days off - giving me a chance to take my eye off the ball - is terrifying! I know the day off is about rest, and recuperation, but I more so fear the psychological danger of losing focus...

At the moment, I am planning to do my 12 week training with Hal Higdon's online program for the novice. Hal seems like a good dude - well meaning, cheerful. Hal wants the best for me. My only concern is that Hal seems a little casual about it all and keeps saying how fun running is. Again - NOT FUN YET! I might be enjoying something about it (I can't put my finger on it... but I'll let you know when I do) - but I'd never say running is "fun."

But I think that's actually why I'm going to go with Hal as a virtual guide. I went to the local book shop yesterday and perused a bunch of guides to training for the Half Marathon and, frankly, they scared the shit out of me! All kinds of variations to practice, calculations to classify yourself as a runner (um, Triple Gold Bad Runner?), and when I did scratch math in my head to make sure I even fell into the "qualifies to train for this race at all" bucket, well, I didn't - and that alarmed me. I put all the books back on the shelf and ran out of the store. Excuse me - I jogged out of the store.

So, Hal feels like a warm hug after coming in from the cold. Hal says I can do it - and it's gonna be fun! I like that and, for $29.99, I can get that kind of positive reinforcement daily from Hal over all 12 weeks of my training in the form of emails and tracking grids. Hal says you can substitute this day for that, and really, it's all in my mind. I'd go so far as to say he implies I could run that darn Half Marathon today if I really wanted it badly enough. We shall see, Hal!

No comments:

Post a Comment