Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day 59: Tipping Point?

I'm cautious to say this... but today was different. I woke up a pound lighter and running was easy. It's as if my body was suddenly possessed by some younger, fitter version of myself! Who am I? Have things tipped permanently? Lord, I hope so. I don't ever want to go back to where I was... yesterday.

I ran three miles in 33:10, which netted me a 10:38 mile! Yeah! This is by far my best time ever. I didn't walk at all; I just didn't need to. From the minute I got going, I was comfortable - I could have held a conversation. I didn't get overly red. No huffing. I still have to breathe through my mouth, though; I just can't get enough oxygen through my nose.

I have no idea what affected this change, but I do have a new gadget - and you know I love me my gadgets. I finally caved and bought a Nike+ digital running assistant for my iPod. The thing doesn't do the running for you, but it tracks your mileage and pace, and links back to the Nike website, where it drops your data into bar charts and line graphs. The site also offers coaching for various races, counts calories, counts days of training, and lets you link your data to friends' data so you can compete with them - or keep tabs on their sorry asses and make yourself feel better.

Nike Running is an Obsessive Compulsive's wet dream! I'm not OCD, unfortunately. I wish I were; my apartment would be a lot cleaner. I do, however, love tracking and quantifying. I've also signed up for the site's 28 week Marathon training program, which makes this whole process seem very, very real... I have 74 days until the Half Marathon! OMG. OMG. OMG. And then Marathon Training starts two days later - and ends on November 7, 2010 - race day.

What am I doing? Can I actually do this? I will be so embarrassed if I wimp out. What if my body hits a wall and I just can't go any more? Must stay positive. My #1 priority remains "avoiding injury" and my #2 priority is... well, I guess, just doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment