Sunday, July 11, 2010

118: Ear Buds

You can't run with regular iPod ear buds. They fall out too easily as you jostle around. For about 6 months I've been using those ear buds you can buy with exchangeable caps that are soft and can be jammed right into your ear canal. They've been working for the most part, until I'd get sweaty and they'd fall out once or twice on a typical 5 mile run. But since it's become summer, and it's extra hot, I've been getting extra sweaty - and the ear buds have been falling out every tenth of a mile after a half hour of running. Total pain in the ass.

Today I was at JFK in the fabulous Jet Blue terminal killing time before a flight and wandered into the gadgets emporium. No sooner had I set foot in the store but a hot sales guy came right up to me and said, "Earphones?" How the heck did he know? He said he could see it on my face. OK...

I had zero intention of buying anything - just researching and browsing - and I told him so. He seemed unfazed and pressed on, asking me about my needs. I told him about the running and the sweating. He said he was a runner and new a solution. I believed him.

Just a few minutes later I was at the register paying for my *new* pair of Sennheiser "twist-to-fit" ear buds that are very odd to look at, but are designed to lock into two parts of your inner ear, making their security impervious to jostling or sweating. We shall see... As I signed the touch screen, I got a slightly sick feeling. Did I just get slimed? Or did I really want and need these ear buds? Did the salesman even run or was that just a convenient lie? Too late - stylus in hand -transaction approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment