Tuesday, July 27, 2010

102: 3M and Speed Work

My energy has returned. If you have a baby, you give all your focus over to monitoring its sleep, digestion, mental and physical stimulation. Sometimes we forget to parent ourselves for a little while and really, it always catches up. Human basic needs don't change from the time we are infants. We just stop paying attention to them.

I finally stopped the madness, got to bed, and let the excesses of the past two weeks exit my system. No amount of running was a match for potatoes fried in duck fat! And yes, duck is fish. Duck swims in the water. When will you ever learn! No amount of water would flush out a daily dose of grits. And it seems, I do require more than 4 hours of sleep a night on average. Now the piper has been paid and I can get on with healthy living.

Today I ran three EASY miles. You know, they're always saying in the training schedule to run this or that many "easy" miles and it pisses me off. It isn't easy! Well, today it was. Not saying I didn't sweat myself into a messy lather, I did; but it wasn't hard. And my foot didn't hurt much. I also did my first ever "speed work." The plan called for me to run 4 x 80 meter sprints after I ran the 3 miles, with breaks between each, but I didn't remember that correctly and instead ran 4 x 160 meter sprints, at the 1 mile marks, while I was running, without breaks. Oh well! I hope that, in this case, more will be more!

I can't tell you how much better I feel right now. I've also decided fairly certainly that I am going to take the NYRR running course. That's the one that's more expensive and inconvenient in every way. Don't ask. It's what my gut's telling me to do. How can I ignore that?

No comments:

Post a Comment