Sunday, July 18, 2010

111: Fact (2M Run, 10M Bike)

Sorry to say, the toe injury is a fact. It's a bit mysterious, though. Let me tell you what happened.

I headed out this morning at 8:15 AM to stand on West 72nd Street and wait for Melissa to burst forth after the biking portion of her NYC Triathlon. She'd asked me to run a mile with her on the West Side, then cross over to the East Side and run another mile with her down Cat Hill. It REALLY helps you when someone runs with you for a half mile or so in a race. They're fresh as a daisy, and that, coupled with some good old fashioned cheerleading, is uplifting. Melissa's been there for me on many races and I wanted to be there for her today.

As I approached the Park, I realized I'd been lallygagging, so I had to run to make it to the meeting point on time. I was about a half a mile away. I jogged lightly and while I could feel myself favoring the toe, it wasn't hurting. The only major problem was that I'd just eaten a mozzarella stick, and that coupled with the extreme heat, and I felt like I might puke. Why don't I ever learn!?

I did manage to get to the meeting spot on time, connect with Melissa's husband, and take out my sign! As I saw Melissa approaching, I sprung to my feet and I can't say what came over me but I knew I was going to run with her as long as I could! She's much faster than I am (even after the first two legs of an Olympic Triathlon, bless her heart!) so I knew it wouldn't be the full mile she'd asked for, but I'd do my best. It felt amazing out there and my toe didn't hurt at all! Nothing. I dropped back after about a half a mile, but only because I didn't want to hinder her speed, and because I felt like I was going to puke again from the mozzarella stick and the 100 degree weather. Meanwhile, Melissa looked fantastic! I'm such a lightweight!

I met up with another friend and we hustled to the East Side where I joined Melissa on the course again and ran another quarter of a mile. Not only did I feel of good service, but I got totally inspired then. There's something about running side-by-side with someone you trust. I knew Melissa was going to keep running, and that made me feel like I could keep running. I cheered her on, carried her gel, and enjoyed every minute of it! I know I was supposed to be out there helping her, but really, as usual, she helped me.

We talked afterwards about what it's helpful to hear when you're in a race. What should a supporter say? For her, she likes to hear stuff like, "You're looking amazing and strong," "You can do it," and "You're ahead of your target (if you are.)" I think I'm going to make a list of things I'd love to hear if anyone I know wants to run with me along the way during the marathon. I'm sure there will be a lot of SatiSpeak on my list, like, "You're moment's right now!" and "If not now, when?" And I wouldn't mind people dumping ice water on my head! Actions speak louder than words! Ice is love...

After the race was over, we hung out with a huge posse of Melissa's girl gang and her family, some of whom I hadn't seen in 10 years. Then I went with Melissa and another participant back over to the bike transition area to pick up the bikes. On one hand, I'm always so impressed with how organized and well staffed events like this are - but on the other, it's a bit terrifying to see the transition blocks, and imagine how chaotic it must be when the competitors are in there. There's a barefoot run at one part between the water and the bikes; and of course the water itself is basically radioactive. It's the friggin' Hudson River! Mmmmm... Try not to get water in your mouth when you're swimming 1.5 kilometers surrounded by 7,000 kicking competitors!

When we were walking back with the bikes, Melissa asked me how my toe was and I said fine! In that moment, it did feel completely fine. I was inspired. My fear that this toe thing was going to kill me melted away. I proceeded to run errands and walk around for the next few hours, covering about 3 miles, and during that time, my entire foot began to throb and sharp, shooting pains radiated from my toe up into the arch of my foot.

Determined not to lose my enthusiasm, I took myself to the gym and biked 10 miles in 44 minutes, and then ran a slow, painful mile at a pace of 11:16. Oh dear... Not good... How will I get past this toe thing? I'm done waiting for it to heal. It hasn't made any progress in 14 days. Sure, I'll keep biking and swimming, but I need to keep running - against the doctor's orders. I'm sorry. I just can't wait.

Right now I feel exhausted but excited too. The marathon is 3.5 months away. Intensive training starts in one week. I know I said I'd picked a training program to go with but I'm on the fence about it again. So many factors to consider. I have a week to sort it out. I can tell you this though - my entire life is going to center on running until the marathon. There's just no way I'll finish it unless I make it my #1 priority. No more weeks with 5 days off in a row. Not ever again until November 8th. The party's over. I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

1 comment: