Wednesday, July 28, 2010

101: Advice About Dirty Laundry

Today was supposed to be a day of total rest and recovery but I couldn't skip ErinSati. At least as much as the workout, I truly love being with my Sati crew. I'm doing it three times this week! Class reminds me that, right now, I am exactly where I need to be - with running, and with everything. I learn something new every single day, more than I could possibly document here. It's all as it's meant to be, unfolding in perfect timing.

I have a lot of new equipment I haven't told you about. Swimming gear, running gear, sneakers and a thing to roll tight muscles out. I've stopped adding up how much this is all costing me. Now I just take receipts and drop them in an accordion folder I set up to manage my running life. At the end of the year I'll look and gasp! For now, as long as there's money left each month to pay my rent I'm not going to worry about it. I'm also not being frivolous. I'm only buying what I need; though I must admit, my needs have gotten bigger than I'd have imagined they would.

As I progress, the way I want my clothes to fit has changed. I'm literally wearing things out. I remember when the doctor told me I should replace my shoes every 6 months to a year, and that seemed like an eternity! I'm 9 months in... and my best shoes are getting pretty scrappy. I wear them all the time now because the #2 pair (the "Flash Gordons," remember those?) really isn't as good. And I notice the difference with every step.

I've had to buy more socks and the good ones are really expensive, like, $12 a pair. But it's worth it. I'm obsessed at the moment with a kind of triathlon sock by BALEGA! I honestly can't tell you what exactly makes them so amazing to run in; but they do make a difference. I can't believe I ever ran in cotton anklets that come in a pack of 12!

I'd like to say that for some items the cheaper version turns out to be better, but unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. I have found ways to order things online and save 10-50%; but there isn't much I'd recommend at this point that you could buy at a regular drug store or on the cheap. I really regret to have to say that. The only thing I can think of is Vaseline. You can use that instead of Body Glide; actually, I prefer it to Body Glide on my feet; but for arms and inner thighs, BG is a bit less cumbersome.

Oh wait! There is one thing you don't need to even try! They make some special "anti stink" anti microbial laundry detergent which is supposed to be the most effective way to kill germs on workout clothes. Back in the day, I was washing my clothes in cold or warm water and hanging them to dry then, thinking that would preserve the life and look of the fabric. The detergent wasn't really doing its job so I thought I'd give it a try. Not helpful. Workout clothes need to be washed in HOT water with good soap (Tide if you like P&G and Wisk if you prefer Unilever). Don't mess with anything less, and when you're done washing, full dry cycle. Sure, that means your clothes are going to shrink and fade. So buy a bigger size to start out and don't be such a fashion plate! :) Matchy-matchy is totally lame anyway! Whatever you do, don't be a sucker. If you want to be a runner, you're going to be doing a LOT of laundry. The best and only way to kill germs is with soap and heat.

I'm happy to say that my foot is feeling a little better. I learned from a new expert that what I may be dealing with is actually scar tissue now, not the injury. That's why the nature of the pain has spread from the joint (where the tear happened) to the arch and rest of the foot. I can treat scar tissue with ice and heat and specific range of motion exercises. We shall see but I think I'm going to be all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment