Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 178: Fortune Cookies

Today was the 1st day of my 28-week Marathon training program. I was scheduled to run 3 miles but only managed 2 before work because I was rushing to catch a train to Philadelphia. I’m not going to beat myself up about it. It isn’t a harbinger of sloppiness to come. It was just a shorter run than planned and I’ll make it up later in the week.

I went to Philly for focus groups and our sessions ran through dinner, so we ordered Chinese in before heading back to New York. The delivery came with a pile of fortune cookies. I’m a little bit weird this way, but I believe G-d whispers to me through fortune cookies. I know… quirky. I’m a freak. I never said I wasn’t!

I paused over the bowl, picked, and then moved to an unoccupied spot in the anteroom of the focus group facility to take my message in. I like to be alone, or at least quiet, when I read the word of G-d. I wondered what kind of directive I would be receiving. Would it be about work, romance, writing, or maybe running…? I hoped about writing or running.

I cracked my cookie open and read, “If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.”

And there you have it. Do not worry, Michelle, about becoming the best runner or writer there could be. Just show up every day and work hard. Keep going. Be humble. Don’t be a baby or expect success. Expect hard work. The sincerity of your effort will be the measure of your triumph. Thank you Suzie’s Happy Village of Bala Cynwyd, PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment