Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 173: New 3M PR (30:03/10:01 Pace)

I am SO excited. Tonight I achieved an unexpected PR! I ran 3 miles in 30:03, netting a 10:01 pace. That's :15 faster per mile than my last 3M PR, which I achieved back in March. I had a couple of advantages tonight.

First, I've been tapering my running down (only 10 miles in the last 5 days) and so my body wasn't exhausted, for once!!! Oh happy, joy. Second, I've been preparing for the Half Marathon nutritionally for a while - no alcohol in 2 weeks, I've been taking iron and multi-vitamin supplements, and today I started carbohydrate and protein loading. Mmm... pasta is so yummy! And then third, I had last night's intenSati lesson on my mind - the one where we were asked to consider the idea that you can't be in two places at once? Powerful stuff...

The treadmill is the ultimate test when it comes to trying to just be where you're at. It's quite a frustrating torture apparatus! You're running - signaling to the body, "We're going somewhere!" - and yet, that's a lie! You are actually going nowhere. The sights stay the same, the grade stays the same (unless you change it, which I never do!). It's horribly boring. That's why there are TVs in there, to help you be in two places at once! Even the mirrors around the gym let you stare at yourself - outside of yourself. Interesting, isn't it?

So tonight, I tried very hard to focus on being exactly where I was, not get too interested in "Access Hollywood," not watch myself in the mirror and issue commentary; but to really be there, in my experience, at the gym, on the treadmill, doing my work. I looked at the machine itself. The buttons. The flappity belt that probably needs to be replaced. Then I got into my body - and the motion of running. Arms swung, legs kicked back, and breath came in and out.

From time to time my mind would wander some other place, and that's when I'd feel the urge to slow down, or stop. When I was completely present, in one place, and "with" myself, I was fine. As soon as I tried to be in two places at once, I'd break down and want to stop.

I wasn't expecting a PR today, but it sure is a confidence booster for Sunday. I have no PR for a Half Marathon, of course, since I've never run one! I think my goal is going to be to do it in 2:45:00 (12:36 Pace). I'd been thinking I'd try to do it in under 3 hours, but I don't want to give myself an easy goal. This isn't about burning a nice chunk of calories; it's about pushing myself. I'm training for the Marathon, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment