Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Day Seventeen: In the Buff

I trained in the Buff this morning - Buffalo, NY, that is. (I know - cheap trick.) What a gorgeous 2 mile journey I had down historic Delaware Avenue. The homes, most now converted into schools and NGOs, are nothing short of grand.

I was a little curious about how it would work today - whether I'd be able to run outside or have to resort to a treadmill in the cramped hotel gym - but when I checked in last night, I simply asked, and wouldn't you know there was a map and a route and an encouraging word from the desk clerk. I remain surprised at how normal and common an activity running seems to be amongst the general population. I still have my doubts.

In case you aren't impressed that I rallied this morning after a late evening of work drinks and a steakhouse dinner last night, I will also mention that it was 32 degrees in the BUF this morning, and still dark out when I hit the road. My fuzzy hat, gloves and all weather pants were more than decorative accessories and I was glad I'd come prepared.

I listened to Dixieland music today while I ran (which somehow felt appropriate as I passed big mansions) and those lyrics are simply too ridiculous to report back on - things about funky chickens and mamma down by the river with a fying pan - so, no quote today!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle!
    I just LOVE your story here! Actually, I love reading your blog. You are such an inspiration and a terrific writer!
    Keep at it!
    (the running and the writing)
    And safe travels!
    --Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will now go back and relook at some of the others you have written

    if the treadmill were outside would that make a difference at all

    ReplyDelete