Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day Nineteen: According to the Oracle...

I've been advised to take one day off a week from training. It's supposedly important for your body, yet no one has ever successfully given me a scientific, bio-dynamic reason for this so-called "essential" pause. I tend to suspect it is more a matter of practicality than proper practice.

When you're in training, you simply can't go out as much. Sleep deprivation and dehydration are enemies to the cause; but life calls for some late nights, and drinks happen. So, I postulate that somewhere along the way, the great running oracles of yore invented the "day off" rule, because, frankly, even oracles like to party.

Think about it... The day off isn't really about the day off; it's about the night off - the night before; and who am I to argue with protocol. For the record, last night I made the most of my night off. There was tequila. Someone fell and hit their head. If you're only going to get one ridiculous night a week - advisable to pack it all in when you can. Not missing the Loop right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment