Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 186: Hermes Hates to Fly

This morning marked the TRUE halfway point of my journey. 185 days behind me and 185 days to go. Down from heaven, I think I heard a bell ring today; and now I've got one imaginary wing painted colorfully off the heel of my sandal! I hope it's safe to assume that if I go another 6 months they'll grant me a second wing. It's going to be awfully hard to "fly" with this lopsided look!

When I was very young, in Mr. Goldsholl's first and second grade classes, I was exposed to a tremendous amount of Greek and Roman Mythology. My favorite character was always Hermes (as the Greeks called him, or Mercury, to Romans). My little friend Sarah Watson and I once drew a picture of Hermes and I can still see it hanging up in her mother's kitchen, on a dark brown cork wall, for nearly a decade.

That time in my life was so rich and fanciful. I liked Hermes because he seemed to have a panoramic view of all the mishegoss going on in the labyrinths of his world. He got to stand back from it, process, and flow back and forth between the Earth and the heavens. Up in the sky, Medusa's snaky pate could not intimidate! But he also got to come down and live life with the people, when he wanted. He was a free agent.

I rather fancy myself a free agent, too, going between the normal world I used to live in, where people are grounded, and subjected to so many demons - and then the other world I'm discovering, through running, where wings grow on feet (albeit after a LOT of work) and things come into crystal clear perspective.

Hermes was the god of travellers, and a messenger between the other gods and mortal man. If he'd been a god in our time (which I guess he must be, as gods are immortal) then I'm guessing he'd have a blog. What better way to get the news out! Maybe: WingedFeet.blogspot.com? Or TheImmortalsWord.wordpress.com? I might just have to start looking for him! I could use a little bit of advice down from the heavens. What say you, Hermes?

Addendum: intenSati tonight. Week one of the Money series. New combinations, new affirmations, new people. I sweat through even inch of my clothes. It's like starting all over again every time. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment