Friday, November 5, 2010

1: Marathon Expo

I worked from home today until 1:30PM and then took a taxi to the Javits Center to meet up with Sarah H. at the Marathon Expo where we needed to pick up our race bibs, D-tags and race day bags.

The Expo was basically a big runner's shopping mall with all the usual vendors in position. Asics was the title apparel and shoe sponsor and so had the largest area, and all the official Marathon clothing. Sarah and I went nuts trying on every single item in the "official" section, circling like hungry (confused) vulchers. We kept glancing at the price tags and then reassuring each other, "It's our first marathon! You only have one first marathon!" I ended up with one amazing light pink long sleeved shirt that I love. Sarah made a slightly larger investment!

Then we browsed the rest of the booths. I entered a contest to win a free Nissan and was startled when bells went off! "Winner, winner! Chicken Dinner!" the MC blasted into a microphone. I was walked to the front to receive my prize - which turned out to be a yellow mesh laundry bag. You have got to be kidding me! I mean I do generate a lot of laundry but...

Sarah bought a pair of sunglasses like the ones I got at the Expo at Disney, which I love, and some Shot Blocks. I ate some of the potato chips in the goodie bag we were given. That's carbs, right? We stopped at the Timex booth and let a tall, handsome hottie try to sell us a watch. We stayed strong! There were juices and power bars to try. We even looked at a race weekend in Bermuda a few days after my 40th birthday. Why not? And we talked about what we were going to wear at the race. I took my three options out of my bag to show Sarah.

"What are you going to wear," I asked back.

SFX: NEEDLE SCRATCHING ACROSS RECORD

So Sarah tells me how she's going to wear a... cotton T-shirt to the race. Everyone together now, "COTTON KILLS!" I freaked out on her but it was like she didn't even hear me.

"What? Cotton? I think it's fine. I always wear just a regular wife beater. I figure I won't be sweating anyway because it's going to be so cold."

You figure you won't sweat? On a 26.2 mile run? Woman have you lost your mind!? OMG. OMG. OMG. Emergency intervention. This person has popped a gasket!

Just at that moment, because Jesus loves Sarah, a guy I know - actually, my runner neighbor from my apartment building - the one whom I've watched race before, and who told me I looked fine after running 18 miles - just happened to walk across our path at the Expo. I corralled him into the debate and he shortly gave Sarah the same look of horror I was already wearing.

Eventually, Sarah was convinced and I took her over to Nike where she purchased a new white technical fiber T-shirt. I know you're not supposed to wear new things on race day but we are all going to have to make a little exception for Sarah on this one, so she don't die!

After her temporary stroke was over, and Sarah had checked out at the Nike store, she turned to me with a slightly alarmed look on her face, "What just happened to me? I was going to wear cotton... I am so messed up right now!"

All I could say was, "Me too..." I'm doing all these crazy weird things, forgetting my routine, not checking my checklist, mostly bumbling around crying and feeling nervous! I have not even mapped out my expected times yet. I haven't been eating salt. I didn't buy gels until about 8PM tonight - and I am completely out. I still don't have my name on my shirt. I forgot to buy groceries for tomorrow, or get a manicure, or pull out the blow up mattress for my sister who is staying over.

It's like... I'm standing still and the world is whooshing past me in a blur. Everything is making me cry. Not the least of which is that I just wrote "1" on the subject line of this blog entry. One? Really? We're down to a 24 hour countdown, now? Are we sure about that? Can I get an extension? Will there be a snow day? I think not. This is really happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment